Welcome back, Kirby fans. We missed us.
It is currently August 21st, 2019, 8:44 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

ide
PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 10:44 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Kirby games have always had some pretty dark themes under its happy tone. But do you think there should be a game that is much darker as a whole. My idea of such a game is one where there is a emphasis on Kirby's character development. They would be a new enemy that throughout the game does horrible things right before kirby's eyes, as a way to destroy him mentally. This would make Kirby angrier and angrier at the enemy as he progresses. Midway through the game, there would be a faux final battle (a la Kid Icarus Uprising) where the bad guy actually wins by turning Kirby's anger against him. After seemingly losing everything, something would make Kirby stand back up to save Popstar once again. After progressing through some more levels, Kirby would be able to defeat the enemy again. The game would end will Kirby regaining his innocence in a well-deserved happy ending.

What do you guys think?

ide
PostPosted: December 9th, 2016, 12:59 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
Maybe. But NOT TOO MUCH darker and edgier (like Shadow the Hedgehog).
If it's in the same level Majora's Mask was to Ocarina of Time, then I guess it's a good idea.
Kirby already has been through some character development through the years.
His relationship with King Dedede and Meta Knight in more recent games is a good example of that.
Of course, Kirby still doubts Dedede's intentions as seem in Squeak Squad. He is his main rival, after all.
But since Adventure, he has saw Dedede's good side and helps him sometimes.
Meta Knight is so obviously not evil, Kirby doesn't even bother anymore.
But I'm getting of topic... Yeah, a darker and edgier Kirby game would be nice (if done right).
Even Planet Robobot had a darker tone to it, so I guess it's a good direction.

Kirby fans are still alive and aware, but the community can't die.
Let's make this place the #1 Kirby site on the internet again!
Let's revive KRR and all of it's features.
The fans want it, the users want it, and even the OPHnK subbing team is back.
Let's make Rainbow Resort great again, as it was in the early and mid 2000's.
TOGETHER, WE CAN DO IT!!!

ide
PostPosted: December 9th, 2016, 8:12 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Triple Deluxe
No. Especially not in the way you described such a game. Kirby being cheerful is an iconic part of his character, and I believe you can't just change something iconic without a ulterior motive.

Being light and soft is a part of the series charm. Play, uh, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, for example. The plot's nigh nonexistent, but the clay artwork is beautiful, the trophy discriptions are funny, and Elline's Diary's art brings a smile to the face of anyone I show it to. I don't think the game would have been as enjoyable if all of those things weren't in the game so that it could be more dark and edgy. And a lot of the above applies to most other games in the Kirby series. A change in tone just isn't worth it.

There are other series that can be dark and edgy, just not this one.

ide
PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 5:03 am 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
This would be a good idea to make Kirby not an annoying idiot again. Kirby's personality has been flanderized so much, that this NEEDS to happen.

If you’re ever feeling lonely, watch this video:
https://youtu.be/mie-3U3H3iY

ide
PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 10:47 am 
Son of Wind A_mystery
Son of Wind

I think kirby's "darkness" is fine right now
(But then agin I loooove when the darker things are more hidden. The true arena kills me in more ways than one)

ide
PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 12:43 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

KEEBY64 wrote:
This would be a good idea to make Kirby not an annoying idiot again. Kirby's personality has been flanderized so much, that this NEEDS to happen.

That's not what "darker and edgier" means. "Darker and edgier" changes the tone of a work, not the characterization. Characterization is on its own seperate axis. Thus, a change in tone does not directly cause a change in characterization.

ide
PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 4:00 pm 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
Still, Kirby needs to go back to his pre-anime personality.

ide
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2016, 3:23 pm 
Watch out, I bite! Male
Watch out, I bite!

Pre-anime personality? He's pretty much the same as he's always been. Friendly, Kind, Heroic, Rash.

ide
PostPosted: December 24th, 2016, 3:42 am 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

GrnFzzTgr wrote:
Pre-anime personality? He's pretty much the same as he's always been. Friendly, Kind, Heroic, Rash.

Are you nuts?! He's annoying and whinny since the anime days. "Poyo!" SHUT THE FRICK UP, KIRBY.

ide
PostPosted: December 30th, 2016, 9:18 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

KEEBY64 wrote:
GrnFzzTgr wrote:

Are you nuts?! He's annoying and whinny since the anime days. "Poyo!" SHUT THE FRICK UP, KIRBY.

You have to show me a non-Mass Attack game where he does so, because as far as I know, Kirby really hasn't changed a bit. Remember how he isn't voiced most of the time in the games? Sure, a "HIii," here, a "Hiyah!" there, a scream for help when he takes massive damage, but that's actually it for voiced lines. And Kirby doesn't whine, he beats up whatever's bothering him, like he does in literally every Kirby game ever made.

And I agree with everything GrnFzzTgr said.

ide
PostPosted: December 31st, 2016, 4:06 am 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

Nevermind, nobody gets it. Kirby is annoying, and that's that.

ide
PostPosted: September 16th, 2017, 8:21 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Adventure
This is kinda old, but I always thought it would be really cool if there was a game centered around Meta Knight

He's already been climbing to "main character" status over the past decade or so with his introduction in various games as an alternate playable character, but I think more to the point is that Meta Knight actually has some lore to work with, being Dedede's right-hand man, the leader of a band of knights, and the commandeer of the Halberd. So, that makes it easier to add an actual plot to the game.

That's the only way that a "dark and edgy" Kirby game would really work, anyway. Trying to add that kind of grit to Kirby's universe otherwise wouldn't work, not to mention that it's completely antithetical to Kirby's character. Although to be generous, Planet Robobot does hide away a pretty dark backstory for the game's antagonist.

KEEBY64 wrote:
GrnFzzTgr wrote:

He literally hasn't said a word in the vast majority of any of the Kirby games.

If you're talking about the fact that Kirby has had voice acting at all, then technically Kirby 64 predates the anime.

ide
PostPosted: September 17th, 2017, 6:01 am 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

Blue Warrior wrote:
This is kinda old, but I always thought it would be really cool if there was a game centered around Meta Knight

He's already been climbing to "main character" status over the past decade or so with his introduction in various games as an alternate playable character, but I think more to the point is that Meta Knight actually has some lore to work with, being Dedede's right-hand man, the leader of a band of knights, and the commandeer of the Halberd. So, that makes it easier to add an actual plot to the game.

That's the only way that a "dark and edgy" Kirby game would really work, anyway. Trying to add that kind of grit to Kirby's universe otherwise wouldn't work, not to mention that it's completely antithetical to Kirby's character. Although to be generous, Planet Robobot does hide away a pretty dark backstory for the game's antagonist.

KEEBY64 wrote:
GrnFzzTgr wrote:

He literally hasn't said a word in the vast majority of any of the Kirby games.

If you're talking about the fact that Kirby has had voice acting at all, then technically Kirby 64 predates the anime.

Yes I know that. But did Kirby say "Poyo!" in Kirby 64? NO.

Also, his voice wasn't as high pitched in that game.

ide
PostPosted: September 17th, 2017, 1:23 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

KEEBY64 wrote:
Yes I know that. But did Kirby say "Poyo!" in Kirby 64? NO.

I really don't think he even said "poyo" anywhere else besides the anime. It's usually just "hi" or some non-distinct grunt, battle-cry, etc.

Quote:
Also, his voice wasn't as high pitched in that game.

That's true actually, I kinda liked 64's voice better.

ide
PostPosted: September 17th, 2017, 4:34 pm 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

Blue Warrior wrote:
I really don't think he even said "poyo" anywhere else besides the anime. It's usually just "hi" or some non-distinct grunt, battle-cry, etc.

He says it in Mass Attack. He also says similar phrases in Epic Yarn, Return to Dream Land, etc..

ide
PostPosted: September 17th, 2017, 8:58 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Guess I didn't really notice then. I kinda like the 64 voice better, but the new one was never bad enough to get on my nerves.

ide
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 6:22 pm 
Puff in Training A_mystery
Puff in Training

Depends on what you mean by "Darker and Edgier".

Should there be a cynical and gritty Kirby game? No. That would be a violation of the series' hopeful and cheerful themes and on those grounds alone should be rejected.

Can Kirby have a fully-developed story with a character arc? Sure, in theory. There's plenty to work with: Meta Knight and his who-knows-how-many secrets, Galacta Knight's identity, the Clockwork Comet series (jeez, Kirby has -lore-, now).

Kirby's always been friendly to spooky and surreal aesthetics, so there's no real problem with a dark and scary aesthetic; Planet Robobot set the standard for general creepiness with its gloomy industrialization and enemy cyborgs (as opposed to the Dark Matter trilogy, which saved all of its hardcore spooky for the finale of each game). Clanky Woods is a terrifying character concept, after decades of Whispy.

ide
PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 8:10 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
hmmm..it may be an interesting direction to go, but when I think of Kirby I always think of some good-natured innocent fun.
Probably not the way to go for this franchise lol

ide
PostPosted: October 13th, 2018, 4:27 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
I've had this topic on my mind for a long time now. However, it is just now that I finally got all of my thoughts out on the matter! I made a big post about it on my tumblr here: http://mrgameandpie.tumblr.com/post/179 ... tty-bright

I'm probably gonna submit this for the Fan Thoughts section too. Still, I figure this area will probably be more likely to spark some discussion of the matter since while few people regularly use these forums these days, even fewer people respond to Fan Thoughts at all.

ide
PostPosted: October 14th, 2018, 6:32 pm 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

mrgameandpie wrote:
I've had this topic on my mind for a long time now. However, it is just now that I finally got all of my thoughts out on the matter! I made a big post about it on my tumblr here: http://mrgameandpie.tumblr.com/post/179 ... tty-bright

I'm probably gonna submit this for the Fan Thoughts section too. Still, I figure this area will probably be more likely to spark some discussion of the matter since while few people regularly use these forums these days, even fewer people respond to Fan Thoughts at all.

It’s sad that you’re able to come up with an idea for a game miles better than Kirby’s recent adventures. I had a good time reading your article, though.