All times are UTC-04:00

ide
 Post subject: Re: Kirby: Star Allies
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2018, 3:37 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Adventure
mrgameandpie wrote:
At this point, I'm hoping they're working on the next big entry for the series. Hopefully something that takes it in a new direction.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I'm theorizing that HAL has been working on a full 3D Kirby game while Star Allies has been making its rounds. I say that because Blowout Blast and Battle Royale look like test runs to me -- now that HAL has both the basic Kirby mechanics and the ability mechanics worked out in a 3D environment, merging those two gameplay elements is probably their next step.

ide
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2018, 4:53 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Also, just beat the "secret" Ultimate Choice difficulty. Still don't have a full grasp on the parallel bosses yet (and I don't have any other players to help me do the quad hamster splash), so for anyone in my position, here's the strategy that I've found useful so far:

Team Setup
Adeleine | Metaknight | The Three Mage-Sisters | Chef Kawasaki

Adeleine's guard has perfect invulnerability, and her healing ability has pretty low cooldown, so using her as leader allows you to just focus on adding support fire and keeping your team healthy while they do the heavy lifting. Another reason why her guard is nice is because of all the new bosses that are included in this mode -- so I've found that abusing her guard is a nice way to simply observe some of these bosses and memorize their attack patterns.

I was originally trying to use Metaknight as the leader so I could take full advantage of his moveset, but I found that Adeleine yielded stronger results. That being said, I haven't seen him get talked about at all, which is a shame because his new counter move is absolutely insane. He's not quite as safe as somebody like Marx, but I still feel like his combat versatility and damage output are both really high. Since he's a sword user, he can also interrupt some of Parallel Metaknight and Morpho Knight EX's attacks, which is kind of useful. So, that's why he's on this list.

Third and fourth picks are basically toss-ups, but The Three Mage-Sisters are a good elemental support if only because all of their elements are quickly accessible. They've also got pretty good damage output and iframes on a lot of their moves, so that's always a good thing. I think Marx or Magolor could have also been chosen instead -- again, just a toss-up.

Chef Kawasaki is basically just insurance policy, and something of a wildcard. Sometimes he'll just make some food, and other times he'll actually pull off an attack with it, but either way it's nice to have some of that support function in a CPU in case you're unable to provide it yourself.

Bosses
All the game's bosses appear in their strongest variant forms, so this means you'll see Goldon and Silver etc. along with the Parallel Dimension bosses. Both the final boss and Morpho Knight have been amped up for this difficulty level as well. Morpho Knight EX isn't incredibly different, but his giant sword attacks have windboxes now, so be ready for that.

General tips:
* Paint food at the start of the fight. If you're lucky, you might also be able to sneak in more food during the pinch animation.
* Make sure your allies are equipped with the proper element before the fight. In particular, definitely make sure that someone is able to melt Francisca's ice cubes, since you'll be rewarded food from that. Also make sure your party is prepped with the fire element and water/ice element for the final boss, because that will help with some of the shooting phases.

For the final fight: the shooting segments are a lot more intense, but you can still avoid a lot of attacks just by circle-strafing and tactically jumping. The shockwaves are a lot harder to dodge (some of them are in the air now), so you'll probably want to stay relatively far away so that you have time to anticipate them. Most of the weak spots are unlocked from the offset, so just focus on positioning yourself defensively while you fire away.

Final phase is pretty nuts, but as Adeleine you'll have plenty of opportunities to restore health to your team if you're paying attention to them. If you're not playing as Adeleine.... Yeah, I dunno, you're on your own. lol

ide
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2018, 9:13 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
Oh yeah, I did beat Soul Melter EX finally. I did Animal Friends solo to do it. I never found the AI partners to be consistently helpful enough to warrant the increased health bosses get when fighting them with multiple characters. Rick, Coo, and Kine have all of the abilities you'll need to defeat the bosses anyway.

Rick's rolling stone form and Coo's Parasol tornado are the big winners here. A ton of invincibility while dishing out solid damage. Their guard is also enhanced, providing another excellent defensive option. With easy access to fire, wind, and even water they'll typically have a solid weakness option for most bosses. Most importantly, they can blow out Whispy's golden apples, burn Francisca's Ice Candy, and wash Dedede's food for health drops in those boss fights, as well as blow out Flamberge's fuse for when she uses her giant fire cannon.

An important ability to consider is Coo's feathers. Individually they don't do a whole lot of damage, but you can fire them off surprisingly quickly, they travel across the whole stage, and if you're up against a larger boss hitting them with two or even all three at once can quickly stack the damage in your favor handily.

On top of their defense is their mobility. Coo's flight is quite fast, and wall jumping with Rick is the fastest vertical movement in the game when available. Of course, Kine is the fastest swimmer too when water is relevant, but that'll probably only happen once. Between being immune to damage through a variety of methods, avoiding damage through excellent mobility, and healing damage at certain critical fights, this trio has an excellent survivability without the need for other allies and without sacrificing much damage other characters like Marx, Magolor, or Dark Meta Knight may dish out. Perhaps the biggest difference between Coo's tornado and Rick's stone when compared to other characters' moves is how safe they are. Rick's stone lets you exit it at any time and move around to a safe position for you to do so. Coo's tornado moves around the air incredibly freely and quickly, letting you deal damage and return to a safe position before it ends. No other character boasts nearly as much control in their invulnerability states.

ide
PostPosted: December 5th, 2018, 2:28 am 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Planet Robobot
The thing about soul melter EX is that you'll have to play dodge and defensively. If you're not careful enough, you could die easily so you'll have to know the boss' attack patterns. Sure Kawasaki can be a big help, but there's a cooldown on the cook pot after use. I may suggest having Kirby amiibos in case of emergency as I said about using the amiibos is that you can't get them in areas where they restrict amiibo functionality and/or can't get the food so only use when in emergency.

Usually Stone might be the best bet, but there will be a lot of time spent. If you're playing co-op, well you will only get half of your health recovered after revive.

Discord ID: KirbyFluttershy#1004
FFXI Character/Server: Chiririn @ Asura

ide
PostPosted: January 1st, 2019, 6:46 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

mrgameandpie wrote:
Oh yeah, I did beat Soul Melter EX finally. I did Animal Friends solo to do it. I never found the AI partners to be consistently helpful enough to warrant the increased health bosses get when fighting them with multiple characters. Rick, Coo, and Kine have all of the abilities you'll need to defeat the bosses anyway.

Rick's rolling stone form and Coo's Parasol tornado are the big winners here. A ton of invincibility while dishing out solid damage. Their guard is also enhanced, providing another excellent defensive option. With easy access to fire, wind, and even water they'll typically have a solid weakness option for most bosses. Most importantly, they can blow out Whispy's golden apples, burn Francisca's Ice Candy, and wash Dedede's food for health drops in those boss fights, as well as blow out Flamberge's fuse for when she uses her giant fire cannon.

An important ability to consider is Coo's feathers. Individually they don't do a whole lot of damage, but you can fire them off surprisingly quickly, they travel across the whole stage, and if you're up against a larger boss hitting them with two or even all three at once can quickly stack the damage in your favor handily.

On top of their defense is their mobility. Coo's flight is quite fast, and wall jumping with Rick is the fastest vertical movement in the game when available. Of course, Kine is the fastest swimmer too when water is relevant, but that'll probably only happen once. Between being immune to damage through a variety of methods, avoiding damage through excellent mobility, and healing damage at certain critical fights, this trio has an excellent survivability without the need for other allies and without sacrificing much damage other characters like Marx, Magolor, or Dark Meta Knight may dish out. Perhaps the biggest difference between Coo's tornado and Rick's stone when compared to other characters' moves is how safe they are. Rick's stone lets you exit it at any time and move around to a safe position for you to do so. Coo's tornado moves around the air incredibly freely and quickly, letting you deal damage and return to a safe position before it ends. No other character boasts nearly as much control in their invulnerability states.

I haven't yet tried RK&C, but I've solo'd Soul Melter EX with the Three Mage-Sisters, and their strengths seem comparable, as far as iframes and multiple elements go. The sisters are little trickier to handle due to the complexity of their moveset, but their main advantages over the animal friends are the fact that they have access to electric attacks, excellent dodge rolls, and a screen-nuke attack which charges back up roughly every other boss fight. RK&C is probably a safer defensive pick whereas TMS is better at dealing damage and disabling bosses.

ide
PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 10:06 pm 
I look like I just spent my whole life in a freezer. Female
I look like I just spent my whole life in a freezer.

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Epic Yarn
... Okay, this thread is longer than I expected.

This could take a while to read.

ide
PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 10:14 pm 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
Soul-of-Marx wrote:
... Okay, this thread is longer than I expected.

This could take a while to read.

Don’t worry, there are a few other threads I posted on that have a lot of pages. Honestly, I kind of forgot this thread existed.

If you’re ever feeling lonely, watch this video:
https://youtu.be/mie-3U3H3iY

ide
PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 10:20 pm 

Honestly, the only reason I knew about this thread is because I know someone who posted here and was able to look it up by their username.

ide
PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 10:25 pm 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
I’m going through the posts on this thread, and it seemed like the game had a lot of potential to be amazing, especially with the lineup of copy abilities that were chosen. I already said this elsewhere, but I think they’re focusing more on Kirby as a merchandising icon than a series of games, as the games don’t sell very well. (I’ve heard somewhere that Star Allies is the best selling Kirby game as of now, but before then none of the games were able to beat the original Dream Land in sales.)

ide
PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 10:32 pm 

Yeah, I think you're right, honestly. Especially if you consider that more merchandise has been released as of late than games, and the last game was just a dry re-release of Epic Yarn.
I don't really like Extra Epic Yarn. It was a pointless remake. It's just Epic Yarn with power-ups, subgames and an EX mode.

But anyway, since they're focusing more on Kirby as a merchandising icon now, the quality of the games is starting to drop, sadly.

ide
PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 10:58 pm 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

I think it started with the anime era. They flanderized Kirby’s design and personality to make him more “cute” and marketable, but I believe this just made Kirby very annoying. This is also where “Poyo” originated from.

The anime era was a mess in terms of the games:
Nightmare in Dream Land: butchered remake of Kirby’s Adventure
Air Ride: Good enough game, last spin-off for over a decade. Takes some inspiration from the anime, and even has some anime songs, mostly in City Trial.
Amazing Mirror: game developed by Flagship instead of HAL
Canvas Curse: First of the somewhat infamous touch screen Kirby games.
Squeak Squad: Another Flagship developed game. Most people dislike this game, but this is actually one of my favorites. This was the one true main series Kirby game in the long gap between Kirby 64 and RtDL.
Super Star Ultra: Incredible game, but it’s another remake. At least they did it right this time.
Epic Yarn: Wasn’t supposed to be a Kirby game at first, but surprisingly the gameplay feels like a Kirby game. Developed by Good-Feel, who would later go on to develop various Streetpass Mii Plaza games, and Yoshi’s Woolly and Crafted World. Apparently Epic Yarn was rebranded as a Kirby game to sell better. Take that as you will.
Mass Attack: Another touch screen game. Takes some inspiration from the anime like Air Ride. It also has some Air Ride remixes.

RtDL ends this era.

I must admit, as much of a mess the anime era was, at least almost every game felt unique. I can’t say that for the current era...

ide
PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 11:15 pm 

Even though I don't mind the anime (as long as it's not the horrible 4kids dub), that era WAS a bit of a mess, I'll agree. I'm surprised that people dislike Squeak Squad, honestly. I mean, sure, Dark Nebula is the most pathetic final boss in Kirby history, but other than that the game is really good imo. I'll let what I have set as my favorite Kirby game on my profile speak for my opinion of Epic Yarn. If that and those two Yoshi games were all created by Good-Feel, that explains the shared craft supply theme, I guess.

But I agree with you completely on the current era. Even Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot copy each other. Planet Robobot is LITERALLY just Triple Deluxe with an industrial-centered theme instead of a nature-centered theme. Even Susie basically had the same role as Taranza in that she started out on the villain's side, then betrayed the villain to help Kirby at the end. And even those two felt very similar to Return to Dreamland throughout the game. The games just don't feel unique anymore. Battle Royale might be the sole exception, but that one gets boring relatively quickly, since there's really not much to do there. You can't even restart the story mode without erasing ALL your save data.

It's like HAL is out of ideas, but they're just pumping out games anyway for the sake of pleasing fans and making money.

ide
PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 11:39 pm 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

I don’t even think they need the games to satisfy fans anymore. Cute pictures/merch/anything will probably do now. I’m sorry if it sounds rude, but considering how Kirby Informer has thousands of followers on twitter for just retweeting art and merch collection pictures and posting low effort memes, it’s likely true. (Then again, jumping to conclusions is one of my many flaws.)

As for Battle Royale, I had a goal of reaching level 100 on the online mode, but due to not many people still playing the game, it’s incredibly difficult to get even one match going(you need four people to start a game). Doesn’t help that the online mode is region locked. I’m curious, do you still play Battle Royale?

ide
PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 10:16 am 

Honestly, I think you're actually right. It seems fairly apparent to me.

Indeed I do ^^ I just recently took it out after a few weeks and restarted Meta Knightmare Returns, actually. (I tend to focus on a particular game for a while.) I tried a few online matches only to be either the only one there or have it just get stuck at three people until they all got bored of waiting and left most of the time, so I decided to just mess around with Planet Robobot for a bit. My Battle Royale nickname is Mahokabi (an extremely non-clever idea I had to combine Magolor's Japanese name, "Mahoroa", with Kirby's Japanese name "Kaabii".) An easy way to identify me is that I always use the gray/black palette for Meta Knight with the Dark Meta Knight costume on.

ide
PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 1:51 pm 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

Actually, I realized something from playing way too many hours of Battle Royale. If you’re playing online, your palette swap will most likely not be shown to other people playing. For instance, you might see my signature yellow Kirby as pink or blue. I don’t know if this actually happens, but I’m assuming it does because in all my time of playing, I’ve never seen someone else with the same pallete swap in the same match. I’m not sure why it’s like this, since it pretty much destroys the purpose of pallete swaps, but this game had a lot of confusing decisions, was hyped up back when it was called “a multiplayer Kirby game for the 3DS”, then immediately forgotten about a few months after its release, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

I still have a soft spot for it, though. (^o^) :kirby:

ide
PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 7:53 pm 

I honestly figured that out as well, especially considering that most people probably just use the pink Kirby, yet there's only ever one in a match. I agree, it defeats the purpose entirely.

Honestly, I'll always have a soft spot for it too, along with Epic Yarn and Triple Deluxe.

Queen Sectonia is actually one of my favorite characters.

ide
PostPosted: August 21st, 2019, 8:49 pm 
Super Star A_mystery
Super Star

I’m still a little upset. I wanted to reach level 100 to see if it was the maximum level you could get to. I managed to get to level 80, so I was getting close...

ide
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 9:14 pm 

I don't remember what level I'm on. Probably something really pathetic, like 15 or something. I'll check.