Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Welcome back, Kirby fans. We missed us.
It is currently October 21st, 2019, 6:42 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
ide
 Post subject: Re: Kirby: Star Allies
PostPosted: May 21st, 2018, 9:15 am 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Planet Robobot
There are new Dream Friends coming soon, and the next update is stated to be in summer (according to the official Japanese Kirby Twitter).

Speaking of bosses, Star Allies seems to use a similar damage system to Planet Robobot. Meaning that bosses won't have that brief frame of invulnerability when they're hit, massively favoring multi-hitting attacks. Bluster Bomb is probably the best example of this in action; the current record is done with a mixture of this and Burning Bomb at approx. 7 and a half minutes.

ide
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2018, 9:42 pm 
Super Star Male
Super Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Consider this a topic revival if you want, but Daroach was just announced as an upcoming Dream Friend earlier. Who's excited for that?

Escargoon: Hey wise guy, this is the king you're talking about! You can't insult him because he's fat! Or because he's a big ignoramous! Or because he's a tightwad- *gets smashed with Dedede's mallet*
~Here Comes the Son

Escargoon: Kitcheeennn!!!! Where's the chow, ya chowderheads?! His highness is hungry up here!
Waddle Doo: But we just served the King a 10-course meal!
Dedede: All of them appetizers was un-appetizin'! Bring me 10 different courses and make it snappy!
Waddle Doo: Right! *he and the Waddle Dees finish the 10 courses and bring the food to Dedede* Hup, two, three, four, we bring the food and he wants more! Five, six, seven, eight, the King had better watch his weight!
~Hour of the WolfWrath

ide
PostPosted: May 24th, 2018, 12:57 am 
Shooting Star A_mystery
Shooting Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
If the rumor of Adeleine being added as a dream friend turns out to be true, Iko will be very, very happy.

If you’re ever feeling lonely, watch this video:
https://youtu.be/mie-3U3H3iY

ide
PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 2:02 am 
Shooting Star A_mystery
Shooting Star

Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
Adeleine and Ribbon were revealed as a new dream friend(they work together). Now Iko( and also the annoying Adeleine fans on Twitter who wouldn't shut up during the gap between Daroach's reveal and Adeleine/Ribbon's) can finally die happy.

ide
PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 10:35 am 
Super Star Male
Super Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
With the inclusion of Adeleine and Ribbon as a pair of Dream Friends alongside the other two (with them being Daroach and Dark Meta Knight), I have a feeling this upcoming update will be met with boundless enthusiasm by me and other fans of Kirby 64.

Speaking of DMK, I was surprised when he was revealed as a Dream Friend. I bet that was rather unexpected.

Escargoon: Hey wise guy, this is the king you're talking about! You can't insult him because he's fat! Or because he's a big ignoramous! Or because he's a tightwad- *gets smashed with Dedede's mallet*
~Here Comes the Son

Escargoon: Kitcheeennn!!!! Where's the chow, ya chowderheads?! His highness is hungry up here!
Waddle Doo: But we just served the King a 10-course meal!
Dedede: All of them appetizers was un-appetizin'! Bring me 10 different courses and make it snappy!
Waddle Doo: Right! *he and the Waddle Dees finish the 10 courses and bring the food to Dedede* Hup, two, three, four, we bring the food and he wants more! Five, six, seven, eight, the King had better watch his weight!
~Hour of the WolfWrath

ide
PostPosted: July 8th, 2018, 10:53 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

If you guys are talking about when's the update, that update is not until july 27, possibly july 26 at the earliest day. here's proof

Discord ID: KirbyFluttershy#1004
FFXI Character/Server: Chiririn @ Asura

ide
PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 7:49 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

KEEBY64 wrote:
If the rumor of Adeleine being added as a dream friend turns out to be true, Iko will be very, very happy.

I am! :lol:

I would have prefered Adeleine alone, but Adeleine & Ribbon is fine too.

I have nothing against Ribbon, it's just that I think that mixing two thematically different characters like this, takes away from both characters; Ribbon adds some moveset variety and the ability to fly, but in exchange they have a limited paint-based moveset and only 1 crystal based move, if the characters were added separately, they would have had the chance to get a more consistent paint-based moveset and more creative uses for the crystal.
Also I think that linking Adeleine to a charcter who lives in a far away planet and who's narrative arc ended time ago, limits the likelihood of her coming back in a future game (though, Magolor was dead and came back several times regardless, so you can never know for sure).

On the other hand, Adeleine and Ribbon chatting and doing high five are adorable, and I like the small redesign that the two characters have got (except for 1 thing... I don't have the 3D models, though I looked at some renders made with them, and it seems that Ribbon now has floating hands? Why?!? HAL should stop making each character a Rayman (:\/) can someone confirm this?).

Anyway, I hope Adeleine will appear again in the future, now that she finally returned and "no humans in Kirby" is no more a thing, there is nothing stopping her from coming back occasionally, especially after all the requests for her that the fans made on the Japanese Twitter accounts. Well, all the Dream Friends should come back regularly, they are all interesting and fun, it would be a waste to have them in the series and not use them (or to be more precise, and use only the same 3 of them every time instead).

ide
PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 2:50 pm 
Shooting Star A_mystery
Shooting Star

Iko wrote:
KEEBY64 wrote:

I’m happy to see you got on the forum to reply. This made my day. :beanhappy:

ide
PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 3:47 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

KEEBY64 wrote:
Iko wrote:
KEEBY64 wrote:

I’m happy to see you got on the forum to reply. This made my day. :beanhappy:

There is so little activity that I only come here like each couple of months or more, so I rarely reply, but I definitely come back sometime.

ide
PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 8:54 am 
Shooting Star A_mystery
Shooting Star

I’m not surprised. There’s not many people still active on the forum, and even then the few remaining rarely post due to how much of a ghost town this place is.

With that being said, I’ll be here as long as the forum’s still up, even if everybody else leaves and it’s just me. (With how long the gap is in between new posts, it’s already starting to feel like that. Heh...)

ide
PostPosted: September 9th, 2018, 12:43 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
So, I STILL don't have a Switch (I'm hoping my partner'll get me one for Christmas). :(

I'm just interested in people's opinions on how the game is these days. Has it matured like a good wine or has it become stale like cheap beer? :)

ide
PostPosted: September 9th, 2018, 5:12 pm 
Shooting Star A_mystery
Shooting Star

Hoshii No Pedro wrote:
So, I STILL don't have a Switch (I'm hoping my partner'll get me one for Christmas). :(

I'm just interested in people's opinions on how the game is these days. Has it matured like a good wine or has it become stale like cheap beer? :)

It was a gimmicky and generic game 5 months ago, and it’s a gimmicky and generic game now.

ide
PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 2:34 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
So, it's closer to a mocktail than either cheap beer or good wine? That's a pity. I was hoping that updates might've fleshed out the game...

It'll be interesting to see where Kirby goes next. I can imagine them doing HD ports of KTD and PR. After all, everything else on the Switch is a port! :P

ide
PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 6:17 pm 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 2
It's a really good game. I don't think it's as solid as Robobot, but it's better than Triple Deluxe or Return to Dream Land.

ide
PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 10:24 am 
Shooting Star A_mystery
Shooting Star

Personally I thought they got worse with each installment. RtDL was a return to form after a long dark age(although I still wish we got Kirby GCN instead), Triple Deluxe wasn’t nearly as good as RtDL but was still decent, Planet Robobot was gimmicky and nostalgia pandering garbage, and I don’t even want to touch Star Allies again since it took Planet Robobot’s problems up to 11. That’s just my opinion, though.

ide
PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 12:31 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Joshi wrote:
It's a really good game. I don't think it's as solid as Robobot, but it's better than Triple Deluxe or Return to Dream Land.

Actually it gets better at every update. I did save some screenshots and stored them in my files. Worst case scenario is Kawasaki. My friend told me that the AI controlled Kawasaki tends to use Cook pot at certain times so if you want a good healer better than Kawasaki, I would suggest vividria or adeline, but mostly Adeline is a better healer although she has the lowest defense as I heard on the update notes.

also it's a little hard for younger kids to get used to play the game (like my nephews for example) since they have to know how to block and dodge certain attacks, and attacking the enemies and not to mention the camera is always focused on the 1st player so it's hard to find any suspicious areas or spots.

Soul Melter (True Arena) on the other hand is hard to solo on your own unless you have amiibos to give yourself some emergency food (or rations). It's highly suggested to do it on co-op mode if you don't have the amiibos to help you, but of course, your health recovery is half after revive and not to mention that health is also halved in soul melter.

ide
PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 9:46 pm 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 2
I've touched the Arena mode equivalent a little bit, but I've never been good at Kirby's Arenas. I do like this variation, though, and maybe with some bros I can pull it off. I'm excited to try it out when me and some friends have some free time.

ide
PostPosted: September 13th, 2018, 11:26 am 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Joshi wrote:
I've touched the Arena mode equivalent a little bit, but I've never been good at Kirby's Arenas. I do like this variation, though, and maybe with some bros I can pull it off. I'm excited to try it out when me and some friends have some free time.

Well you have to do guest star allies / Helper to Hero first before doing the arena / boss battles which is the only way to unlock higher difficulties of the arena. I did the boss battles first before doing guest star allies run. Yeah doing the arena in co-op mode may be a good idea although the boss battles will end if any of your co-op partner(s) are unable to revive you and/or accidentally landed on the enemy attack as I did before which is on meta-knight's sword beams after the duplicates.

What I do suggest is that if you're doing the arena in solo play, I would suggest plasma and 3 others of your choice. Co-op play, it doesn't really matter what you and your co-op partners pick. Chances of succeeding depends on how well you do and how fast you can revive on time. If you're using sword, staff, yo-yo, bomb, ninja, cutter, hammer and Bandana waddle dee, it would be best to have someone to go as daroach and/or rick (if co-op). Artist / Vividria's still life and Adeline's al fresco will not help you well during the arena since Recoveries are very small when they're used. For offensive matters, well Marx is much useful enough and takes less hits than the others and the Friend ability I would recommend for marx is Zap for the arena which it has good DPS and amount of damage he deals although my good combination of attacks for Zap marx would be rush (which is Dash + B in midair. Can be used many times depending on the distance) followed by Marx megaspin and then finally, marx flip ultima. The black hole can be used for protection and dealing damage to the boss.

ide
PostPosted: October 13th, 2018, 5:11 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
I've really enjoyed the Star Allies DLC. The game has probably some of the blandest level design since Dream Land 3, most likely to help with the drop-in drop-out multiplayer, but it also has some of the coolest movesets for copy abilities too. In particular I love Plasma's teleporting ability, zip-zapping all over the place is a blast and Plugg was probably my favorite non-dream friend to play as in guest star mode because of it. I also like the various teamwork attacks, particularly between elemental abilities like hitting Water's geyser with an ice move or electric move for a super attack, or hitting Fire's flame breath with a wind move for another super attack. It promotes further team synergy and in particular multiplayer teamwork. Getting an AI player to use these super moves requires signaling them for every single usage, but two actual players can set up one person using Fire's breath and another person constantly sweeping behind them with Clean to turn what would normally be two mid-range moves into a powerful rapid-fire long range move. Combos like this really make multiplayer feel worth it.

That said, when it comes to fantastic movesets, the DLC characters have just about everything else beat. In particular I love the animal friends and Daroach! Rick, Kine, & Coo bring with them so much fantastic support, they have almost every type of attack except electricity, ESP, a friend throw, paint, and a consistent source of ice. Plus the aforementioned wind + Fire's fire breath can be done with Rick's fire breath too so they even have a combo move of their own! And since Clean uses all of the Dream Land 3 animal friends, you basically bring the whole gang together with the combo I described above!

When it comes to Daroach, it feels like you're playing a bullet hell game, but you're the boss! So many of his moves are projectiles that have some combination of charge time, delayed activation, huge range, long duration, and high power. Filling the screen with explosions, Squeak Squad members, ice lasers, and Dark Nebula chests is a breeze and pretty much guaranteed to do a ton of damage in any boss battle regardless of how good your aim is simply because of how much stuff is happening at once. He's also probably the only Dream Friend that I feel hits a solid balance between utility and combat. Bandana Dee, Dedede, Meta Knight, Marx, and Dark Meta Knight are all really great at fighting, but that's pretty much all they bring to the table. The animal friends, Gooey, and Adeleine provide a ton of fantastic support, but they don't have the devastating offensive capabilities of Marx or Dark MK. Daroach gets a solid combination of powerful projectiles and several utilities with fire, ice, and electric elements alongside Storo crushing stakes for a more jack-of-all-trades sort of style.

Also, the unique level setups for the Dream Friends in guest star mode is a really great time! I wasn't originally expecting to enjoy playing as Dark Meta Knight all that much, seeing as I'm not a fan of the Sword ability in general. However, his moveset is almost entirely unique, and in particular I find it powerful enough to warrant the short range of a melee weapon. What really made me enjoy playing as Dark MK though was the Amazing Mirror level design duplications in his guest star mode playthrough! Most of Star Allies' level design might be bland, but bringing back the exploratory stylings of Amazing Mirror for at least a few areas at the beginning and end of the playthrough made me actively play the game and explore the world rather than mindlessly mashing my way through everything like I had done in every other playthrough! I also generally enjoyed the unique setups for using the animal friends' and Daroach's unique abilities in their playthroughs, but those were always pretty short and instances where these abilities would be helpful in normal gameplay just don't show up. Dark MK's maze segments actually lasted quite a while in comparison, making them much more exciting and giving him the best level design out of anyone I'd say, even if his abilities aren't as inherently interesting.

ide
PostPosted: October 14th, 2018, 6:36 pm 
Shooting Star A_mystery
Shooting Star

The DLC characters weren’t enough to save the game for me. Don’t get me wrong, Gooey and Adeleine/Ribbon are really fun to play as, but the actual stages and other content is a snoozefest.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next