Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Back to life so many times we should get our own comic~!
It is currently January 18th, 2021, 1:36 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 2:37 pm 
ROYAL RAINBOW Female
ROYAL RAINBOW

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
Introduction

Hello, esteemed member of the Kirby's Rainbow Resort forums!! Welcome to the grand new frontier that is Pointless Palace! Now, this iteration of Pointless Palace is going to be similar to its old version in many ways, but it will also be different. I'm here to try to help you all understand this new Pointless Palace a bit better!!

What is Pointless Palace?

Pointless Palace is a forum! It is part of the whole that is Kirby's Rainbow Resort. However, Pointless Palace is a bit special. It's basically where you put things that don't belong in Miscellaneous Mountain, Dream Land Newsstand, or anywhere else on the board! Of course, this doesn't mean you can put whatever you want here. Let's briefly go over its history.

Pointless Palace started a few years back, before many of the current forums here existed. It housed silly topics that didn't belong anywhere else, but also served as home to forum games! However, after time the boards became infamous for their spam-quality posts. It soon beame apparent that some people were using Pointless Palace simply to further their rank and add to their post count, and that's no good! So in an event known unofficially as "The Big Spam," Pointless Palace denizens made a crapload of joke topics that were eventually deleted along with the board itself. The word games somehow survived in the form of the Dyna Blade Arcade (which, in fact, was where I first got a job as a moderator).

But this was not the end of Pointless Palace! Shortly after this, it resurfaced, bringing promise of not becoming corrupt or spammy or anything. And it continued like this for a while, all cool and stuff. But then one day, things took a turn for the worse. Posts began to be mysteriously edited, and entire topics were made to ridicule certain members. The place was almost a wasteland of cynicism and hatred; it would make a nice home for the Demon Lord Odio. Good thing he never showed up!!

Regardless, Pointless Palace was again shut down, and has now reopened in a shiny new form. So, in order to prevent it from making the same mistakes as last time, I am making this guide.

What's a good PP post look like?

That's not a difficult question to answer!! Let's take a look at an example of a good post.

Here's a post made by Verily in that topic about RMD's birthday. Let's see what I selected that make it a good post!!
  • 1) The introduction to the post. A lot of posts lack some sort of introduction, but the inclusion of a quick, silly phrase related to the topic at hand is usually a good idea. Or maybe in a topic about a birthday that has a post that is a day late could simply say "belated birthday wishes!!", sort of like what Verily does.
    2) The body of the post. Verily acknowledges what the topic is about, and also makes a comment on the current state of affairs in the topic (i.e. Ceceil filling it with a meme, much to several member's chagrin). Talking about what the topic is actually about is often a good idea!!
    3) The ALL CAPS of the post. Not all posts require ALL CAPS; in fact, a lot of people opt for lower case with no punctuation instead! Regardless, making a quick statement in either ALL CAPS or lower case with no punctuation can add a touch of humor to the post, as well as make a statement on your opinion on the subject. Not all posts require these, but it's things like this that make Pointless Palace, well, Pointless Palace! Just remember, don't do it too often.
What's a mediocre PP post look like?

A mediocre post would be one that doesn't really make sense, but still adds something. Usually people who don't know what's going on make posts like this, and while it's not a terrible thing, they could be improved.

Here's a post by Hexor in the "even better pp rp" topic. I didn't include his signature because it's really freaking long. Forgive me, Hexor!
  • 1) Random ALL CAPS noun. Unlike Verily's example, this doesn't seem to have any bearing on the topic at hand! Considering that ZURA already named what was in the refridgerator, it seems pointless to add that. In fact, this noun could be somewhat random in an attempt at humor, but I certainly don't find it that funny.
    2) The body... eh? Body? This doesn't continue the (barely discernable) story of the so-called rp, this is just random. Spontaneity isn't a bad thing, mind you! This is just a bit too random to make sense. Maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand this topic, but I am the one making this unofficial guide and I must say this is again too random for my tastes.
What's a bad PP post look like?

It's hard to figure out what exactly is a bad PP post... until it hits you in the face directly, that is. Bad PP posts often are only funny to the initial poster and are simply annoying to everyone else. They can be direct attacks on other people (which is definently frowned upon), or they could be the quoting of memes from other message boards or websites (which is frowned upon more than the former).

This is a post made by Ceceil Felias in Magi's sandwich topic. The main problem here lies in the fact that Ceceil posted an internet meme! Let's see what's wrong about that.
  • 1) The meme. This post goes to a bad start with the posting of a meme from another website. As far as I know, the meme is called "Krystal can't enjoy her sandwich," and is simply a picture of Krystal from Star Fox (albeit naked) eating a sandwich while something weird or stupid goes on in the background. Like all memes, only a select group of people find them funny while to everyone else they go misunderstood. Memes are usually a bad idea in PP posts, considering that they often annoy many people that simply don't really even care.

2) The justification. Saying "it had to be done" is a bit of a bad move, because to be honest posting a meme DIDN't need to be done! This doesn't just apply to this particular meme; it would still apply if you posted a SHOOP DA WHOOP sandwich, or a Bidoof sandwich, or a lol, sandwich. The old PP had a rule that was never inforced about the keeping of memes off of the site. If there is going to be a meme on Pointless Palace, let it develop for itself. Don't try to force memes from other websites onto the rest of the population.
Conclusion

So there you have it! With these three examples and guidelines, you should be able to figure out how to post effectively in the new and improved Pointless Palace. Happy posting!

Your friendly neighborhood Cricecorn,
Diddgery

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 2:41 pm 
Industrial strength Male
Industrial strength

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
I see what you did there.

September 17, 2007. Support our troops !!!!4 YEARS!!!!

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 2:46 pm 
ROYAL RAINBOW Female
ROYAL RAINBOW

Magi is the bird I cannot change.
Lord knows, he can't change.
Lord help him, he can't change.

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 2:59 pm 
Cutter Power! Male
Cutter Power!

Good job with this Diddgery, CONGRATULATIONS.

This is very informative, and can shine a light onto PP.

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 3:04 pm 
Shooting Star Male
Shooting Star

Mediocre? MEDIOCRE?!
Fine, It's mediocre. So what?!
And yeah, I forgive you. Last time, though.

[right]dA account
Twitter account
Our time is now. Let us enjoy it to the fullest.
Trying to be more active. Let's see how that works out.
[/right]

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 3:04 pm 
The most effectual Male
The most effectual

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
This should have been made a long time ago.

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 3:57 pm 
Shooting Star Male
Shooting Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Adventure
the lack of mentioning the great Haruhi FMA war is sad

VG Song of the Week: A song from a video game
Currently Playing: Some video games. Probably Wii, 360 and/or DS games.

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 4:04 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star
lack of saying that memes are old after five seconds make fail imminent

also, memes in certain places actually lead to lol; however, it has to be in the right context.

that is all :D

"HURF A BLURF BLURF BLURF" - The Inimitable Oscar Wilde
Character Profiles

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 4:27 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

Perhaps this will finally lead to the decline of stupidity in Pointless Palace that occasionally rears its ugly head. :)

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 4:46 pm 
a friendly ghost A_mystery
a friendly ghost

A+! Very good historical post, some of which I didn't even know about!

I was going to do something like this. I should add, though, members: You don't have to follow the EXACT structure of these example posts. It's kinda like in school when they teach you paragraph structure (introduction, concrete detail, comment, comment, closing statement) as a general guideline, but expect you to add to it and make it your own rather than having five sentences per paragraph all the time.

So enjoy PP. I hope this version comes to be as successful as it was in the past.

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 5:22 pm 
smoked cheese <:3c Female
smoked cheese <:3c

Very nicely done, Didge.

I can say that even as I was used as an example of what not to do, but I can safely say that it'll help me not do that again. :o

But you do realize that you've made that image immortal now. :D

Livejournal | Furocity | FurAffinity | Clever Pun

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 7:16 pm 
Biospark Male
Biospark

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star
Great! Now people know the difference between spam and a PP post.

Hurray, this Pointless Palace will be around forever as long as people follow this.

PS-Diddgery, your new avatar scares me. It is stealing my soul!

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 7:41 pm 
Star General Male
Star General

Quote:
This guide should've been made a long time ago. Thank you for your guide, Diddgery.

BTW, you killed the song for me....Wait, i thought the last PP was its third reincarnation, or the second. I don't remember.

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 7:43 pm 
Star General Male
Star General

Quote:
This should've been made a long time ago. I thank you for your guide. I thought that the last PP was its third reincarnation, or it was its second. I don't remember.

BTW..you killed that song for me.

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 8:02 pm 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 2
A few years old? Nay, Diddgery, PP has been around longer than you or I have. :<

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 8:24 pm 

Isn't this, like, the fifth incarnation of PP? I'm not too sure, but I think that's what the figures were. D:

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 10:32 pm 
ROYAL RAINBOW Female
ROYAL RAINBOW

REGARDLESS OF WHATEVER NUMBER OF PP THIS IS! It doesn't matter this guide is still helpful.

No hard feelings, Hexor! Mediocre is still better than bad. Don't take it personally, you're a cool dude.

Ceceil, I know that I will not be able to get rid of that without having to find a new bad post, and then I'd be immortalizing THAT bad post.. so really, I guess it is for the greater go--
FOR THE GREATER GOOD.

Raphael I'm not sure what you're talking about! But I guess you could PM me about it? Honestly I don't remember.

Also Joshi you've been around longer than me, I think?

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 10:51 pm 

Quote:
Ceceil, I know that I will not be able to get rid of that without having to find a new bad post, and then I'd be immortalizing THAT bad post.. so really, I guess it is for the greater go--
FOR THE GREATER GOOD.
XD Well, it's not really the post immortalized, it's the picture. xD But hey, at least I don't mind that I was used as a bad example. I just wish I was cluestick'd beforehand. ;p

But hey, it still helped tell me I was screwing up, so yeah. :o

ide
PostPosted: September 24th, 2007, 12:56 am 
Super Star Male
Super Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Canvas Curse
When I saw that included post of mine, I spat out my potato.

... well not really, but it was very, very surprising!

Although, to be honest, no. 1 and no. 3 were in actuality a parody of the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland (specified by the almost-silly repeat of the beforementioned word) so I'm not actually sure if they count, but I guess if you look it as more of an example, it can be acted that way.

Anyways, great post, Diddgery! I'm sorry I couldn't contribute anything else, but this post was very informative!

(OPTIONAL RULE THAT I SOMETIMES DISREGARD: Try to not say 100% when you can say 20% as given by: Although, to be honest, when you could say, Actually. It makes things easier for people to read it!)

ide
PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 6:26 am 
That Acrobatic Cat Female
That Acrobatic Cat

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
T-There's a guide now to posting in Pointless Palace? Last I checked, this place was always futile. I thought it was both it's charm and horror? But--

Oh, what has the world come to when we have to be guided to be utter idiots ~