Hello, esteemed member of the Kirby's Rainbow Resort forums!! Welcome to the grand new frontier that is Pointless Palace!
Now, this iteration of Pointless Palace is going to be similar to its old version in many ways, but it will also be different. I'm here to try to help you all understand this new Pointless Palace a bit better!!
What is Pointless Palace?
Pointless Palace is a forum! It is part of the whole that is Kirby's Rainbow Resort. However, Pointless Palace is a bit special. It's basically where you put things that don't belong in Miscellaneous Mountain, Dream Land Newsstand, or anywhere else on the board! Of course, this doesn't mean you can put whatever you want here. Let's briefly go over its history.
Pointless Palace started a few years back, before many of the current forums here existed. It housed silly topics that didn't belong anywhere else, but also served as home to forum games! However, after time the boards became infamous for their spam-quality posts. It soon beame apparent that some people were using Pointless Palace simply to further their rank and add to their post count, and that's no good! So in an event known unofficially as "The Big Spam," Pointless Palace denizens made a crapload of joke topics that were eventually deleted along with the board itself. The word games somehow survived in the form of the Dyna Blade Arcade (which, in fact, was where I first got a job as a moderator).
But this was not the end of Pointless Palace! Shortly after this, it resurfaced, bringing promise of not becoming corrupt or spammy or anything. And it continued like this for a while, all cool and stuff. But then one day, things took a turn for the worse. Posts began to be mysteriously edited, and entire topics were made to ridicule certain members. The place was almost a wasteland of cynicism and hatred; it would make a nice home for the Demon Lord Odio. Good thing he never showed up!!
Regardless, Pointless Palace was again shut down, and has now reopened in a shiny new form. So, in order to prevent it from making the same mistakes as last time, I am making this guide.
What's a good PP post look like?
That's not a difficult question to answer!! Let's take a look at an example of a good post.
Here's a post made by Verily in that topic about RMD's birthday. Let's see what I selected that make it a good post!!
What's a mediocre PP post look like?
- 1) The introduction to the post. A lot of posts lack some sort of introduction, but the inclusion of a quick, silly phrase related to the topic at hand is usually a good idea. Or maybe in a topic about a birthday that has a post that is a day late could simply say "belated birthday wishes!!", sort of like what Verily does.
2) The body of the post. Verily acknowledges what the topic is about, and also makes a comment on the current state of affairs in the topic (i.e. Ceceil filling it with a meme, much to several member's chagrin). Talking about what the topic is actually about is often a good idea!!
3) The ALL CAPS of the post. Not all posts require ALL CAPS; in fact, a lot of people opt for lower case with no punctuation instead! Regardless, making a quick statement in either ALL CAPS or lower case with no punctuation can add a touch of humor to the post, as well as make a statement on your opinion on the subject. Not all posts require these, but it's things like this that make Pointless Palace, well, Pointless Palace! Just remember, don't do it too often.
A mediocre post would be one that doesn't really make sense, but still adds something.
Usually people who don't know what's going on make posts like this, and while it's not a terrible thing, they could be improved.
Here's a post by Hexor in the "even better pp rp" topic. I didn't include his signature because it's really freaking long. Forgive me, Hexor!
What's a bad PP post look like?
- 1) Random ALL CAPS noun. Unlike Verily's example, this doesn't seem to have any bearing on the topic at hand! Considering that ZURA already named what was in the refridgerator, it seems pointless to add that. In fact, this noun could be somewhat random in an attempt at humor, but I certainly don't find it that funny.
2) The body... eh? Body? This doesn't continue the (barely discernable) story of the so-called rp, this is just random. Spontaneity isn't a bad thing, mind you! This is just a bit too random to make sense. Maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand this topic, but I am the one making this unofficial guide and I must say this is again too random for my tastes.
It's hard to figure out what exactly is a bad PP post... until it hits you in the face directly, that is. Bad PP posts often are only funny to the initial poster and are simply annoying to everyone else. They can be direct attacks on other people (which is definently frowned upon), or they could be the quoting of memes from other message boards or websites (which is frowned upon more than the former).
This is a post made by Ceceil Felias in Magi's sandwich topic. The main problem here lies in the fact that Ceceil posted an internet meme! Let's see what's wrong about that.
- 1) The meme. This post goes to a bad start with the posting of a meme from another website. As far as I know, the meme is called "Krystal can't enjoy her sandwich," and is simply a picture of Krystal from Star Fox (albeit naked) eating a sandwich while something weird or stupid goes on in the background. Like all memes, only a select group of people find them funny while to everyone else they go misunderstood. Memes are usually a bad idea in PP posts, considering that they often annoy many people that simply don't really even care.
2) The justification. Saying "it had to be done" is a bit of a bad move, because to be honest posting a meme DIDN't need to be done! This doesn't just apply to this particular meme; it would still apply if you posted a SHOOP DA WHOOP sandwich, or a Bidoof sandwich, or a lol, sandwich. The old PP had a rule that was never inforced about the keeping of memes off of the site. If there is going to be a meme on Pointless Palace, let it develop for itself. Don't try to force memes from other websites onto the rest of the population.
So there you have it! With these three examples and guidelines, you should be able to figure out how to post effectively in the new and improved Pointless Palace. Happy posting!
Your friendly neighborhood Cricecorn,