It is currently June 26th, 2019, 2:50 am

All times are UTC-04:00

ide
PostPosted: July 9th, 2017, 3:53 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
^
I agree. It's pretty interesting watching the online world change. Some of it great (ubiquity of knowledge), some of it painful (the encroachment of corporate imposition) , some of it downright horrible (Youtube comment sections!). :P

A hub page with relevant links to the places you mention might be a better way of handling communities in future.
One or two high profile sites so that newcomers can find them easily which then give 'maps' to other places of interest.

I feel whatever the web is at the moment (3.0?) it's still in a state of flux and growth. Still kind of primordial. It'll be interesting to see where things are in, say, another ten years...

@Keeby: This will be my one response to you regarding the state of this forum and your plans of whinging until people leave here to join you in your vision of the future. I don't want to get involved in negativity. Goodness knows, there's enough of that in the world already.

You need to take a deep breath before posting. Be more positive and people will (eventually) respond positively. If not, then it's their loss and they have to live with that negative way of being Keep going the way you are and your spiral of frustration will only get tighter until you quit here in a pique of rage. It'll only end up hurting you and this, however small, community you purport to care for.

Please, try to make your next post happy (are you enjoying Blowout Blast? Are you excited for the upcoming games? Do you like any of the tons of toys and goodies that are being produced this year? Do you like Luv's artwork? Do you have any to share yourself?). There are lots of things in Dream Land to be happy about. :)

Anyway, off topic but I'm curious, does anyone know what's happening with Meta Naito? Has anyone taken up the offer of running the place?

Also, do you guys (Keeby, Luv or anyone else) visit the Kirby sub-Reddit? My name's Hipnotic Rogue over there if you want to say hiya. It's surprisingly active just now and the vibe's quite playful. I love what happens when someone makes a post containing the word POYO! :)

ide
PostPosted: July 9th, 2017, 4:37 pm 
Parasol Dee A_mystery
Parasol Dee

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
I'll have to check out the subreddit. I don't really use Reddit, but now's a good of time as any to give it a try.

I'm not sure about Meta Naito, though they probably forgot about this place due to inactivity. I'd personally love to take on a role to help KRR but I'm not sure that I'm the right person for the job. Nor do I know who to even contact about it (or how to sound sincere and not annoying to said administrator).

ide
PostPosted: July 9th, 2017, 9:24 pm 
Simirror Male
Simirror

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow... It's getting pretty congested up here though.
The Internet has changed a lot since I started venturing it over ten years ago; you used to be able to find all sorts of neat fan and personal websites, and most of them had some sort of forum as well. Now it's all about these social media things that I can't fathom why anyone would put so much time and effort into (granted, there were some social media sites back then too (remember MySpace?), but its nowhere near like how it is today).

I don't really do reddit, or a lot of modern community things people use today in general (I'll be among the first to tell you how little I care for Discord). I think I'm falling into this mentality that I'm just getting too old to follow online communities for the things I like, and honestly, I lurked around some communities that were just downright awful and toxic.

According to the front page of Meta Naito, Meta Naito is closing down by the end of the year, but the admin seemed to be welling to either hand over the keys of Meta Naito to anyone with some knowledge of HTML/PHP or to give their content to an established website that has interest in their content. If I had better knowledge of HTML and PHP, I might've considered reaching out, but my HTML is pretty mediocre at best, and I don't know the first thing of PHP, so I'll have to pass on it.

Hoshii No Pedro wrote:
A hub page with relevant links to the places you mention might be a better way of handling communities in future.
One or two high profile sites so that newcomers can find them easily which then give 'maps' to other places of interest.

That kind of sounds like web rings, but now I'm definitely dating myself for even mentioning those.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this earlier, but luvkirby4ever, if you were interested in helping KRR out, you should try emailing Bimblesnaff, he seems to be the one running KRR at this time. Not sure how likely he'll consider it, but if you're serious about it, may as well try it.

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Carnival Phantasm (ep. 8), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Ben-Tou (ep. 9, ulgh...), Shinryaku!? Ika Musume (ep. 5)
Reading: nothing

ide
PostPosted: July 10th, 2017, 3:14 am 
Dream Warrior A_mystery
Dream Warrior

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
*sigh* It seems like people have yet to understand me...

I am up for hope and positivity, but not when it's forced. I was just trying to tell the truth, and you pushed me back.

(I also never got Kirby's recent games, since I feel like Kirby has been going down in terms of quality lately, but the new game coming out next year on the Nintendo Switch seems like a return to very good Kirby games(such as RtDL).

See? I was BOTH honest AND positive. Now, are you guys happy?)

I never knew that Meta Naito was closing, though. Thanks for letting me know.

If you’re ever feeling lonely, watch this video:
https://youtu.be/mie-3U3H3iY

ide
PostPosted: July 10th, 2017, 12:17 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

KEEBY64 wrote:
...I was BOTH honest AND positive. Now, are you guys happy?)

I am. :) :grin:

KEEBY64 wrote:
...I never knew that Meta Naito was closing, though. Thanks for letting me know.

No worries. I was just wondering if anyone had picked up the reigns. Seems like a bit of a waste to let it fall by the wayside but, like the others here, I have no PHP experience. Still, maybe someone'll pop up.

@Soniti254: Heh, yeah, I remember webrings. They had their uses. Maybe they will make a come back in some form or other. Some of my older interests still uses hub pages ie/

http://roguebase.net/

Something like that but a bit more inviting wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm with you with regard to the modern, transient social media stuff. Kinda sums up today's ADD mentality... always looking around for the next shiny thing to grab their attention! :P

@luvkirby4ever: Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Reddit but it seems to be the most rooted when it comes to social interaction in the modern web (and even then, they still automatically archive posts at 6 months old...).

Since when did permanence become old fashioned!?

ide
PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 11:01 am 
Simirror Male
Simirror

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow... It's getting pretty congested up here though.
Hoshii No Pedro wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone had picked up the reigns. Seems like a bit of a waste to let it fall by the wayside but, like the others here, I have no PHP experience. Still, maybe someone'll pop up.

I would imagine, if anyone took up on the offer and Meta Naito accepted, that there would be some kind of announcement. Then again, given the inactivity at Meta Naito to begin with, doesn't seem like all that many people are even aware of the situation over there. Just goes to show that fan and personal sites just really aren't a thing nowadays, like my initial post in this thread states.

Hoshii No Pedro wrote:
I'm with you with regard to the modern, transient social media stuff. Kinda sums up today's ADD mentality... always looking around for the next shiny thing to grab their attention! :P

I think that about sums up this generation pretty well. Honestly, I don't even understand what the point to most of those social media sites are; the only one that kind of makes sense to me is Facebook; but I really don't understand why so many people care about Twitter (you can only basically write a sentence or two per post, making any posts you write lack any real context and are just pointless in general), Snapchat, or whatever else people use. People will always flock to whatever the latest popular thing is, regardless of how shallow it actually is.

Hoshii No Pedro wrote:
@luvkirby4ever: Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Reddit but it seems to be the most rooted when it comes to social interaction in the modern web (and even then, they still automatically archive posts at 6 months old...).

Since when did permanence become old fashioned!?

I looked at reddit before and it's another one I don't really understand the appeal of it; I really don't like the style on there and there's also no real personification on accounts from what I see, so every post basically looks the same and I just don't understand why people would rather have that than forums like these.

Since denizens of the Internet got this idea that anything older than half a year is "ancient". :P

Watching: A Certain Scientific Railgun (ep.14, stalled), Carnival Phantasm (ep. 8), Hoshi no Kirby (ep. 71, stalled), Ben-Tou (ep. 9, ulgh...), Shinryaku!? Ika Musume (ep. 5)
Reading: nothing

ide
PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 11:29 am 
Dream Warrior A_mystery
Dream Warrior

Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
Yeah, I don't really like any of the new "fancy" social media sites and whatnot(except for maybe Twitter). I much prefer forums.

It seems like people just don't care about things being archived neatly via forums, anymore, which is such a shame.

ide
PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 2:24 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Yeah, the personalisation aspect of a proper forum is probably what makes it feel more like a real place for me. On Reddit some subs allow you to have 'flair'. What a development in online personal relations! :P Really, they're no better than the smiley I just used...

Unfortunately, Reddit is the closest the modern internet seems to accept to a proper forum.

You know what? I take back what I said earlier about me getting old and therefore not 'getting' the newer social media. To make an analogy (like I haven't already in this thread!) the new stuff is like Post-Its (Twitter) and tabloid magazines (Reddit). Ye olde style forums are like books and journals - much more sophisticated and aimed at the more erudite participant. :P

ide
PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 5:45 pm 
Dream Warrior A_mystery
Dream Warrior

Yes, I am not the type for "social media"(unless YouTube counts as such???).

Me and some others will be working on Another Dimension for a while. We're hoping to make it the next big Kirby forum, or at least have up to date info and guides... heh...