Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Welcome back, Kirby fans. We missed us.
It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 7:51 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
ide
 Post subject: Re: Kirby: Star Allies
PostPosted: November 7th, 2018, 10:54 pm 
Super Star Male
Super Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
We just got a new update, Wave 3 Dream Friends are being added to the game: Magolor, Taranza, and Susie, plus it seems the three Jambastion mages are going to be a surprise addition to the Dream Friend roster. And, OMG, there's also a new mode being added as well called "Another Dimension Heroes" featuring new stages as well as new EX bosses as well. The new update comes on the 30th of this month.

Escargoon: Hey wise guy, this is the king you're talking about! You can't insult him because he's fat! Or because he's a big ignoramous! Or because he's a tightwad- *gets smashed with Dedede's mallet*
~Here Comes the Son

Escargoon: Kitcheeennn!!!! Where's the chow, ya chowderheads?! His highness is hungry up here!
Waddle Doo: But we just served the King a 10-course meal!
Dedede: All of them appetizers was un-appetizin'! Bring me 10 different courses and make it snappy!
Waddle Doo: Right! *he and the Waddle Dees finish the 10 courses and bring the food to Dedede* Hup, two, three, four, we bring the food and he wants more! Five, six, seven, eight, the King had better watch his weight!
~Hour of the WolfWrath

ide
PostPosted: November 8th, 2018, 12:49 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Planet Robobot
Kirbyfan103 wrote:
We just got a new update, Wave 3 Dream Friends are being added to the game: Magolor, Taranza, and Susie, plus it seems the three Jambastion mages are going to be a surprise addition to the Dream Friend roster. And, OMG, there's also a new mode being added as well called "Another Dimension Heroes" featuring new stages as well as new EX bosses as well. The new update comes on the 30th of this month.

I saw it from one of the discord servers I'm in so apparently to add your post with more information, here's the source and proof. It's in japanese though, but hopefully if you guys don't mind that is.

Discord ID: KirbyFluttershy#1004
FFXI Character/Server: Chiririn @ Asura

ide
PostPosted: November 12th, 2018, 1:30 am 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 2
Can't wait to play through as a team of four villains.

ide
PostPosted: November 17th, 2018, 1:50 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

I'm curious to know how long that new mode will take to finish right now considering the amount of time it'll take. For guest star allies, well it takes me about every 1-2 weeks to finish up the new dream friends.

Just to let you guys know that the English version of the wave 3 trailer video is already up on Nintendo's youtube channel if you guys are curious to know what's gonna happen, but if Japanese version works for you guys, i'm ok with that.

ide
PostPosted: November 17th, 2018, 10:50 pm 
Super Star Male
Super Star

I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but in case someone didn't know...

OMG the Jambastion Mages are gonna become playable Dream Friends in the upcoming update! That's right, I'm talking about Franny, Berge, and Zan Partizanne. Was anyone taken by surprise by that fact?

Escargoon: Hey wise guy, this is the king you're talking about! You can't insult him because he's fat! Or because he's a big ignoramous! Or because he's a tightwad- *gets smashed with Dedede's mallet*
~Here Comes the Son

Escargoon: Kitcheeennn!!!! Where's the chow, ya chowderheads?! His highness is hungry up here!
Dedede: All of them appetizers was un-appetizin'! Bring me 10 different courses and make it snappy!
Waddle Doo: Right! *he and the Waddle Dees finish the 10 courses and bring the food to Dedede* Hup, two, three, four, we bring the food and he wants more! Five, six, seven, eight, the King had better watch his weight!
~Hour of the WolfWrath

ide
PostPosted: November 19th, 2018, 11:41 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Kirbyfan103 wrote:
I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but in case someone didn't know...

OMG the Jambastion Mages are gonna become playable Dream Friends in the upcoming update! That's right, I'm talking about Franny, Berge, and Zan Partizanne. Was anyone taken by surprise by that fact?

Well apparently I just confirmed your information on that.

Probably this image shows proof enough.

ide
PostPosted: November 21st, 2018, 12:10 am 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 2
So am I interpreting that correctly as them all acting as a single character, Rick/Kine/Coo-style?

ide
PostPosted: November 21st, 2018, 11:52 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Well Probably we need more information to confirm on how the jambastion mages will be played like. The image I've shown doesn't give us that much information.

ide
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2018, 10:38 pm 
Super Star Male
Super Star

I guess we'll just have to wait for their trailer and see.

~Here Comes the Son

~Hour of the WolfWrath

ide
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2018, 9:29 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Adventure
God, Susie and Taranza look so fun. Also like that orchestral mix of Star Sparkler.

Still don't have a Switch yet, but as soon as I do, this will be one of my first buys. I was a little skeptical at first, but the level of content that's been added post-release is honestly pretty unreal.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed.... the boss remix that was playing during the EX bosses showcase? Right toward the very end, you could hear Dark Mind's boss theme.

EDIT EDIT: Nevermind, I'm being silly. That's Masked Dedede's theme.

Last edited by Blue Warrior on December 1st, 2018, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ide
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2018, 9:28 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

It looks like jambastion mages are playable characters, but the Nintendo switch facebook post states that you need to clear certain conditions to unlock them and my guess is that it has to do with the new mode.

here's the trailer video

ide
PostPosted: November 30th, 2018, 10:38 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

I only just now realized that almost all of Kirby's friends have been his enemy at some point.

... Does that make Kirby Goku?

ide
PostPosted: November 30th, 2018, 1:25 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Well I did see the new mode was like so I'll fill you guys in what I know. The new mode is called heroes in another dimension. you'll be playing as both Kirby and Dream Friends (forced change). There are 4 dimensions in all and you'll get a checkpoint after each bosses. It will get more challenging and puzzling as you progress.

Now as for the jambastion mages being unlockables, it seems my guess is right on point. it has to do with the heroes in another dimension mode so possibly you'll have to S rank the mode just to be safe.

ide
PostPosted: November 30th, 2018, 4:45 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
So I've gotten through nearly all of the new content at this point. Beat Guest Star mode as Magolor, Taranza, Susie, and the Mages, got an A rank on Another Dimension Mode (just a few hearts to go back and collect) and I've nearly beaten Soul Melter EX, Morpho Knight EX took me out right at the end so I didn't get to see if Void Termina changed at all.

Magolor is pretty fun to play as. His dash attack has a lot of vertical control, so its pretty easy to launch yourself through whole rooms weaving up and down to avoid changes in ground level. His basic attack is a slight homing projectile that can be fired surprisingly quickly, you also enter a free-moving hover state while doing so and while charging further levels of the attack. Its pretty easy to just spam that move and hover around a bit to take out whole groups of enemies with little effort. He also gets Ultra Sword as one of his moves and it is incredibly powerful. I'm not sure what it's base damage is since I've only used him in Guest Star mode where your power levels vary, but it'll often two-shot mini-bosses and take a sizeable chunk of health out of bosses too. He can summon needles out of the ground which has huge range and also solid power. Then he has apples... they exist. His dash attack is wind, his standard projectile is electric, and his fully charged projectile is fire, and holding up summons the Lor Starcutter that other players can jump onto, upon which Magolor will launch it forward as an incredibly powerful projectile which can also break Friend Throw Blocks. Probably the most fun character added to the roster this time around.

Taranza is decent. His standard attack and dash attacks are the same as Spider's, and setting up the big web or the several small webs from your dash attacks is still a solid method of combat. That said, his other options get pretty intense. Up attack in the air charges a big electric ball that he'll throw downwards at an angle. It's huge, does major damage, bounces around the room and lasts a while, so it can pretty easily take out whole rooms without issue. His downwards attack charges up an explosion around himself, at full charge this thing had roughly as much power as Magolor's Ultra Sword, but you can float around freely while charging and the blast radius is huge, making it a good deal easier to safely use. Then there's summoning Sectonia, she stays in one place and strikes the ground around her with a ton of lightning, doing massive damage over time. Combining these three moves can fill the screen with complete devastation, much like Daroach just keeping all of your big damage sources in play will take out pretty much anything without issue. There's also attacking up while on the ground, he pulls a big vine out of the ground which sits in place for a while, acting as something of an area denial attack. Just another bit of damage to add to your screen-covering barrage. Despite his power, I wasn't really feeling Taranza that much. Summoning Sectonia in the right position pretty much ensures any wave of enemies will be taken out the moment they spawn in, so then you're just waiting a while until they're done spawning. It is efficient, but not that interesting. With Daroach I felt like I was constantly managing all of these different attacks with their charge times and delayed detonations and long lasting effects, here its just Sectonia with maybe an explosion or bouncy ball occasionally.

Susie though, she was a major disappointment for me. My favorite ability is Jet, and seeing Susie have Jet's moveset got me really hyped for her inclusion. Unfortunately, her version of Jet is pretty terrible. You have to use your dash attack to charge it, making it difficult to use mid-air unless you're doing a jet chain. When she does launch, she barely goes anywhere at all. I loved Jet in great part because you'd fly over half the screen in one fully charged blast, but with Susie it feels like she barely goes anywhere at all. And as for launching oneself upwards? Once again, barely gets any height, and there's even a delay before she actually goes up! It also doesn't seem to have the sizeable power Jet normally has. At the very least, her standard attack, her ray gun, is decent. In particular with the fire element it becomes a powerful flamethrower. Hovering around with her propeller dealy and holding down the attack button to fly forwards with a wall of flames is incredibly effective. Of course, the big deal with Susie is she can summon her own robobot. Its okay. The standard attack spins the arms around like a sawblade, which does surprisingly little damage. With the wind element this allows the robobot to fly freely, which is important because otherwise it only has a double jump, pits are actually dangerous now! Up attack launches some missiles, nothing really special there, once again surprisingly little damage. Then finally it has a ground pound for its down attack, and this is where all of the damage was hiding! Unfortunately it's invincibility frames are lacking, so landing directly on top of a boss with this isn't ideal, you'll need to hit them with the explosion it causes upon landing. I think the robobot may take less damage than normal, though don't quote me on that.

So then we had the Jambastion Mages. You don't need to S Rank Another Dimension mode to unlock them, I think they only require 100 hearts to obtain, I had around 107 I believe. Next to Magolor, these three were my favorites. Each Mage has her own full moveset, and you can swap between them any time with down attack. Zan Partizan in particular is extremely fast, both in movement and attacks. She also gets both of her super attacks with her lightning laser and her electric ball launcher doing massive damage and covering huge sections of the screen easily. Francisca is okay, she can shoot ice shards downwards for decent coverage, her weapon has a solid range with good power, she freezes with basically every attack so you can always expect extra damage from knocking frozen enemies around, and her super move is her water gun which you can aim and bounce off of floors and ceilings. The water gun is surprisingly powerful, especially in comparison to the damage the other two do with their super moves. A constant stream of damage with infinite range that you can aim really shreds through most bosses, but Pon and Con in particular are annihilated by it. Then, finally, Flamberge. She has a cool dash attack, sticking her sword in the ground as she revs forwards, doing a huge swing at the end. She has more standard attack combos than the other two doing major damage and even ending with launching an arc's worth of projectiles. Attacking down in the air stabs into the ground and even picks up a rock to throw as a projectile. Her super move is her huge fire cannon and it does huge damage, though surprisingly not much more than what the other two do with their moves. Since Zan Partizan has two super moves, one of them exactly like Flamberge's, and since Francisca can aim and redirect hers, I would've expected Flamberge's weapon to do way more damage to make up for all of that, but no, not really, it's about the same if not less. Flamberge was probably the one I used least out of the three, but she was still certainly playable.

So, Another Dimension mode itself. It's split into four levels, and they all have a distinct pattern. First, go through a section with a predetermined copy ability. The next three sections will then have you playing as one of the dream friends. Level 1 has the three the game started with, Bandanna Dee, Dedede, and Meta Knight, Level 2 has the first DLC trio, Level 3 has the second DLC trio, and Level 4 has the latest DLC trio. After going through that levels three dream friends, go through another section with a predetermined copy ability which primarily focuses on one of the four super friend abilities. Finally, top it all off with an extra hard version of one of the game's bosses. After beating the first level, you can choose to do the next three in any order you want, though they aren't marked in any way. In the level selection room, entering the portals left to right will take you through the areas numerically, ending with the Magolor/Taranza/Susie section. Seven of the bosses in total have been given new fights, and boy they are HARD. I normally only die to instant death and during the True Arena in Kirby games, but each of these bosses individually really gave me a run for my money! I'm pretty sure I only managed to get through one of these fights without dying, and that was because I cheesed it with Adeleine's Still Life ability to restore health. Even with that ability, the final fight against all three Mages simultaneously is one of the most hectic experiences I've had in a Kirby game. With three opponents all doing huge damaging attacks, and with three allies jumping around making things even more chaotic, it's hard to keep track of what is going on and where you are! The game even lags during that particular fight so many effects are going off at once. Never before has Kirby been this intense. Though I said 7 bosses got new versions, only 6 of them are in Another Dimension. When playing as the Mages in Guest Star mode, they'll fight these alternate bosses (and not themselves, to note). Their Morpho Knight at the end is Morpho Knight EX, he isn't actually that much tougher, especially compared to how the other bosses got buffed both in new moves/forms and in MASSIVE amounts of health. I'll often go through boss fights in this game with the enemy only getting two or three attacks in before they fall, but not with these guys. You're gonna see everything they've got.

Of course, since I haven't gotten S rank on Another Dimension or beaten Soul Melter EX, I haven't QUITE done everything there is to see. Void Termina might have a new form, you might get something cool for S rank, I'll find out eventually. Still, those are my very comprehensive thoughts on the latest update! For everyone who complained about the game being too easy, well, you've got your hard mode now! Probably the hardest in the series, even! A ton of fun though, I'll definitely be coming back for this bit.

ide
PostPosted: November 30th, 2018, 6:08 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Well apparently getting all 120 hearts on heroes in another dimension is a safer side to get jambastion mages. anything lower than certain amount will not get you jambastion mages.

ide
PostPosted: December 1st, 2018, 1:52 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

So, I bought a Switch over the last weekend and Star Allies with it, and I think I've played through pretty much all of the major content, so I wanted to share my thoughts on it.

Honestly, I'm having a lot more fun than I originally expected.

One of my biggest complaints about the recent Kirby games is that the difficulty curve was too shallow up until the point where the player reaches True Arena. While it's true in this game that lives are still meaningless and the main campaign is relatively easy (with most of the early game puzzles basically playing themselves), it actually does feel like there is a lot of involved level design at play, which is really surprising since you would think that four-player Kirby almost necessitates that levels remain linear. Ultimately, the game moves away from a lot of the spectacle and 3D plane gimmicks of the 3DS titles, in favor of elemental terrain and more combat-centric level design. And since the game is built around the assumption that the player will never have to be alone at any point, that also means that double-team minibosses make a return, and hard versions of minibosses are widely incorporated into later segments of the vanilla campaign (instead of being strictly an EX mode feature). That's cool with me, because I'm the type of person who will play through the bulk of the campaign solo, just for the sake of the challenge of it.

And this is actually the game's greatest strength, IMO; while most of the bosses might be a joke with a well-composed team of four (let alone four players abusing the curling technique), the fact that you can play through most of the game with just one or two characters means the player can adjust the difficulty at will, simply by choosing how many partners will join him, and whether or not to take advantage of ability combos. With dozens of characters, tons of combos that change projectile and move properties in really interesting ways, an EX-mode centered around optional stat boosts, and an arena mode that can be scaled in length and difficulty, Star Allies is able to appeal to virtually every playstyle and every type of crowd. With me being a connoisseur for alternate playstyles in any single player game, this jumps the replay value up five-fold for me.

That all being said, I couldn't have bought the game at a better time. I could see why people might have had complaints about the game when it came out, but these DLC updates really put all of that to rest. Not only are many of the new characters lots of fun in their own right, but the new side campaign really is the endgame content that Star Allies needed for the game to feel like a complete product. The gloves really come off here -- a lot of the puzzles are honestly rather tricky and sometimes forced a few retries out of me, but the boss battles aren't anything to sneeze at either. And while the four player Metaknight battles can get pretty hectic with eight characters on screen, the face-off against the trio is easily the most chaotic boss battle I have witnessed in any Kirby game ever, especially with characters like Marx and Magolor stuck in the mix. It's absolutely ridiculous to look at.

Overall I'm just really amazed by the scope of content this game has to offer, and I've barely been able to put the game down since I started playing. I'd have to say that Star Allies is very easily in my top 5 for Kirby games; it's definitely up there with the likes of Super Star and Kirby's Adventure, maybe even topping them. HAL has seriously outdone themselves here.

Last edited by Blue Warrior on December 1st, 2018, 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

ide
PostPosted: December 1st, 2018, 1:53 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

KirbyFluttershy wrote:
Well apparently getting all 120 hearts on heroes in another dimension is a safer side to get jambastion mages. anything lower than certain amount will not get you jambastion mages.

You only need to complete the campaign with 100 hearts to unlock the mages.

ide
PostPosted: December 1st, 2018, 1:36 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Well this is the last wave update just to let you guys know. there will be no further updates from this point on. All that's left is to share your best scores and times from other modes as needed and see if we're able to beat those scores.

here's my proof for this update

ide
PostPosted: December 1st, 2018, 2:13 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

That's pretty much what I was expecting. It looked like everything was culminating toward this new game mode, so I'd be surprised if there were more updates.

ide
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2018, 2:36 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
Yeah at this point to add any more characters would probably require them to pull from side games. Gryll, Elline, Prince Fluff, they could probably be a DLC's worth of alternate characters of their own, but I don't think they'd do that. At this point, I'm hoping they're working on the next big entry for the series. Hopefully something that takes it in a new direction.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next